Monday, September 13, 2010

Using DLT and SLT in lessons

My area of endorsements are in ELL and Special Education. Now, obviously in teaching in these areas I will need to encorporate many teaching strategies in developing lesson plans. For example if if were teaching ELL students how to put together a sentence, like proper sentence structure and formation, I could use the DLT which is the theory of having students start out learning something using a very concrete method to then having them approach the same thing but having them progress toward seeing the thing more abstractly. I would at first try and have them try and put together a sentence themselves or try and put together a sentence speaking to themselves, then I would maybe have them watch a clip of a video to allow them to visually see it and hear it and then after that I would have them try and converse with another student. I could also encorporate the SLT into this by having them correct one another or by asking one of the more knowledgeable peers to try and help them try and create a sentence. I do realize that is not a subject matter but in these areas alot of what I will be doing is trying to teach the students how to converse, as I will be working with english language learners as well as possibly severely disabled individuals. As for teaching them how to do something, more students in the special education department will need to be taught things most using very concrete material, however hopefully hey will be able to comprehend some abstract concepts. Now, obviously students in the ELL program will most likely be able to think abstractively once they have learned the language better.

3 comments:

  1. This is defiantly a hard subject to teach through DLT, and really SLT only works with a more knowledgeable peer who comprehends the material. I don't know how I would break this down into a more concrete lesson. I'm also going into special education and have really thought about how to use DLT. It really kind of occurred to me that everything is going to have to be broken down into its most concrete form because of the disabilities the students are already working against. Abstract thinking would ultimately be the goal but it would be vital to completely develop their concrete thinking skills first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a special education endorsement, I think your ideas are great, I believe many ideas from DLT could be effectively implemented in your teaching techniques. However, I think it is important to note that just because a student is in a special education program, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are incapable of abstract thinking. Some very great abstract thinkers have gone through special education classes. These students can have disorders like Aspergers, which often hinder an individuals social development. In cases like these I believe SLT would be very important to understand. Sometimes very smart students may be in special education because they can't use language to express their attained knowledge. Language is such an important area in today's American education, so we must make sure students don't get get left behind in this area.

    ReplyDelete